Saturday, January 4, 2014

Winter 2014 Plans

Well this is about as late as I can justify it, what with the season actually kinda starting today, but here it is anyway.



Autumn was a bit disappointing, but I'm reasonably looking forward to this season. Not that there weren't any good shows, but only a few were really notable or exceptional. Certainly not as strong as many past Autumn seasons.




And as usual, if this is the first season that you're watching airing anime, maybe check out ?



Anyway, here are my pickups:



Green = hype, orange = not-so-hype, red = unhype



* Space Dandy

* Nobunaga the Fool

* Tonari no Seki-kun

* Nobunagun

* Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta

* Wooser no Sono Higurashi Kakusei Hen

* Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren

* Pupa

* Silver Spoon Second Season

* Houzuki no Reitetsu

* Wizard Barristers

* Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha

* HappinessCharge PreCure!

* Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon



And a few thoughts:



Space Dandy is Shinichiro Watanabe's new original project. You know, the director of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo? He's even described it as an entire series like that one mushroom episode of Samurai Champloo, I think. There is no reason not to be super hype about this.



Both Nobunaga the Fool and Nobunaga take the tired old "that Nobunaga guy but different!" premise that usually involves Nobunaga now being a young girl and actually doing some interesting stuff with it. It could easily go tits up, but they seem to be worth checking out at least.



I've heard a lot of good things about the Tonari no Seki-kun manga, so I'm kinda excited about this. It's about a school girl who sits next to a boy who does increasingly bizarre things during classes, distracting her endlessly. It's gonna be a series of shorts, so the limited premise shouldn't be a problem, but the manga is meant to be really funny.



Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta is a series based on a film that's a couple of years old, I think? The premise sounds interesting either way, so I figured I'd give it a look at least.



I enjoyed the first series of Wooser , so no reason not to check out Wooser no Sono Higurashi Kakusei Hen.



Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren. Yesssssssssss. Probably more excited than I 'should' be, but I loved the first season.



Pupa has been bouncing around a fair bit, and I don't have high hopes for its quality. A horror series with short episodes? Probably won't work, but we'll see.



Silver Spoon Second Season is more Silver Spoon and that is a fantastic thing because the first series was super good you guys. VERY excited for this one!



Houzuki no Reitetsu has an interesting premise ("dark comedy" usually catches my eye) with a cool bit of promo art, so I figured why not give it a chance?



Wizard Barristers is a) an original anime, and b) incredibly dumb-but-fun sounding. A court system where they use magic instead of, like, the law or something? Why wouldn't I watch that?



Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha sounds kinda generic (typical girl-meets-deity-thing shoujo romcom stuff, maybe) but the art looks nice andwell, I'm not necessarily excited, but it might turn out to be a pleasant surprise, y'know?



I've been enjoying my time with DokiDoki! Precure and I hear from reliable sources that it's far from being the best Precure too. That honour usually goes to Heartcatch, the director of which is apparently directing HappinessCharge PreCure! so yeah, I'll be checking this out as well. Precure is pretty fun!



I'll be watching Sailor Moon because Sailor Moon. I just feel obliged as an anime fan. If it even comes out this season, of course - it's been stuck in development hell for a while.



And that's that. Counting continuing series as well, that's 19 series I'll be watching this winter, although I don't doubt that that number will drop. 16 if you don't count short series. There were a few series that I probably could have chosen to pick up, but I decided against it in favour of having my free time less wholly consumed by anime.



At any rate, there's at least 3 series I'm mega-hyped for, which is good. Even if all else sucks, I have some faith that they'll be plenty entertaining.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment