Friday, January 17, 2014

Anime Roundup: Winter 2014

Hurrah! The new anime season is upon us so dive into more shows and increase our backlog even further!! Wait



Actually, the winter season tends to be one of the weaker ones of the year as it's following on from the biggest one. Not that this has prevented my watch list from ballooning, mostly due to the studios having grasped my weakness and thrown in a plethora of mecha shows. And I will always make room for a mecha show! But first, let's take a look at what has come by from last season.




BEST SHOW



Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova



This one was a bit of a surprise. A slow starter, initially it seemed to thrust you too far into the deep end and then dragged you along kicking and screaming but once you got your bearings, it turned out to be a very well thought out, well paced show and one I looked forward to quite a bit. It diverged a fair bit from the source material but I'm not too worried for any potential sequels.



Honourable Mentions



Strike the Blood



WORST SHOW



Copellion



Yes, there were worse shows (far worse) but for sheer disappointment and boredom factor, this show wins, HANDS DOWN!! Blazblue and Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku ni naritai were really bad shows but you expected them to be awful, and that cushions them a fair bit (also SekaiIchi had a stupidly catchy ED theme ). Copellion was just boring as hell and a massive waste of an opportunity.



BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT



Infinite Stratos 2



WHAT. THE FUCK. HAPPENED? This show was almost bad!! I was worried when I heard that there was going to be a second season as it was announced only shortly after the novels started up again due to issues between the author and publisher. The worry was that there wasn't enough material to make a full season. Well, the makers of IS2 managed to side-step that issue by making the series full of mostly original material. And it all SUCKED!!! There was so much which was just flat out removed from the novels and some embarrassingly bad original material shoehorned in (The birthday party for Ichika was a prime example, though it did give us Chifuyuu in a maid outfit). It should have been great but the staff proved to be inept and managed to kill it off with so much suckage. It's like an entire season of filler with just some of the bare essential parts kept from the novels (the introduction of Phantom Pain, O-M and the introduction of the sisters into the Harem). That's it. God, this has left a bad taste in my mouth



BIGGEST SURPRISE



Gundam Build Fighters



I knew from the first couple of eps that I would enjoy this show to some degree but I didn't think that I'd enjoy it as much as I have. There's something about it that makes it quite endearing.



THE REST



* LOG HORIZON was kinda like the best parts of SAO but not as good. But at least it didn't have any of the really sucky parts!

* I had a really hard time defining what type of show OUTBREAK COMPANY was

* Yup, VALVRAVE was a complete mess by the end

* KILL LA KILL is a masterclass in "how to make people think that your action scenes are amazing when actually, they were just done really REALLY cheaply!

* I actually knew what the twist in LITTLE BUSTERS REFRAIN was so the impact was lost on me. Have to say that I enjoyed the first season more.

* UNBREAKABLE MACHINE DOLL did a decent job of keeping me entertained even though I knew how things were going to unfold

* I'm getting some serious ToraDora! vibes from GOLDEN TIME. That isn't good. Incoming extreme melodrama!!

* GALILEI DONNA Started off so strong but then hit some kind of glass ceiling. It was decent but nowhere near how good it could, and should, have been!

* WALKURE ROMANZE needed more Celia. way WAY more Celia. Akane had the idea!!

* I felt that KYOUKAI NO KANATA was neither good, nor bad. Just Meh

* I had to go back and read some of the manga to remind me what parts FREEZING VIBRATION was going to cover. LIKE HELL THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO DO A GOOD JOB ON THOSE BITS!!

* BLAZBLUE did not disappoint in the slightest. It was awful as expected!!

* SEKAI DE ICHIBAN TSUYOKU NARITAI was so stupid, you couldn't help but feel for it. The level of stupidity in the show could (and probably did ) melt brains but it had an effect like cat pictures on the internet. Many are retarded but you can't help but go awww.



That's it for last season, on to the new stuff!



MUST WATCH!



SEITOKAI YAKUINDOMO*



*Ahem* F**K YEAH!!! This show is going to be awesome and Laugh out Loud funny. There is no way they can screw this one up !!!



TOARU HIKUUSHI E NO KOIUTA



The premise and general setting kinda gives me an Allison and Lilia vibe, and that was one show I enjoyed quite a bit so this one definitely deserves a shot.



GIN NO SAJI 2



Sequel but we all know it's going to be good!



NEPPUU KAIRIKU BUSHI ROAD



Mecha show. It's likely going to suck but it's a mecha show, so I'll watch



NOBUNAGA THE FOOL



Another mecha show



BUDDY COMPLEX



Mechahh forget it.



INTERESTING BUT MEH



NISEKOI



I've been reading this manga since it started and it's been a pretty entertaining ride. I'm curious to see how well it makes the jump into anime.



WIZARD BARRISTER



It's an original series, something we don't get enough of. That and the premise of being a courtroom drama show piqued my interest. I bet everyones inner Phoenix Wright will be taking over when they watch this show!



SPACE DANDY



Basically, this is a show which one has to watch in order to generate an opinion of. Everyone is going gaga over it since it's made by the creator of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Except I don't rate those shows all that highly. Bebop was great on first viewing but doesn't hold up on repeat. Well, we'll see how this goes.



INARI, KONKON, KOI IROHA



Another manga I have been reading for a while now. I'd rate Inari higher than Nisekoi as far as the manga goes but I think it'll have a harder time making the transition to anime.



MAHOU SENSOU



I have a soft spot for these migical action fantasy shows set in the real world. Strike the Blood is another example.



NOURIN



Similar premise to Gin no Saji but untested. Worth giving a shot tho.



NOBUNAGUN



One of those shows which seem so unbelievably stupid, you just have to check it out.



TONARI NO SEKI-KUN



Another manga adaptation but unlike Nisekoi or Inari, I didn't really get into this one so I'm using the anime to give it another chance. It wasn't a bad manga, but it just didn't grab me at the time. Maybe the anime will have better luck.



WHY AM I WATCHING THIS?



CHUUNINBYOU 2



The reason why I'm watching this show is very simple. Despite the first season being lacklustre at best, I'm genuinely curious to see how they can extend the story, which was more or less complete by the end of the first season. It's kinda like going back to the JRPG world after saving it from armageddon



SAKI ZENKOKU HEN



I really enjoyed Saki but Side-A was really poor for me. The reason? There wasn't much actual Mah Jong going on, just special moves being thrown all over the place! Hopefully, a return to the original cast will set things right but I'm not too sureIn any case, I don't think ppl would complain about playing mah jong with Ueda Kana.



MAKEN KI 2



Seen the pic? Well, there you go! Gotta have a service show somewhere, even if it is doomed to suck before it even starts



WITCH CRAFT WORKS



The show is pretty much the same as Tonari no Seki-kun, in that I started reading it but my interest fizzled. I'm giving the anime a chance sway me again but I think its chances are less than Seki-kun



WAKE UP GIRLS



Alarm bells are ringing on the premise alone but I did enjoy Idolm@ster way more than I was expecting so I'll give this show a (slim) chance



SUPER SONIKO - THE ANIMATION



The only reason this show is anywhere near my list is that I am morbidly curious as to just how bad it's going to be. That's it.



That's pretty much it for me. A lot of new shows to cram into my watching schedule and some which I'm pretty sure I'll drop rather quickly but that's enough from me, what is everyone else watching?



All images are copyright to their respective owners
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment